Here be the conclusion to my Starcraft editing efforts. Its a sprawling multiplayer concept map, spun around thoughts of Capture The Flag functionality. If you check the map out solo, free-for-all seems to work better than melee. The AI leaves its best impression as Zerg, per usual. Not quite as challenging as the previous map in singleplayer, it must be said.
... Update: v1.01 28/02-2012. Fixed a level design glitch that was causing worker pathing issues in the quarry base location. Also added a sizeable crystal to each of the five the start locations.
The counterpoint to my first Starcraft map, there's less of a budget on this one and more of the traditional gluttonous crystal portioning. Much more agressive Zerg AI performance here than in OIC, and the overmind usually takes its tech tree to the utmost extent. If you should be struggling in singleplayer, there's a rumour of a secret base out in the desert... And as always with things pertaining to Spice, Tiberium, Notum and Vespene, its first come first serve. Note that you'll need the Brood Wars expansion pack to play this map.
I finally decided to play Starcraft. The original. It was fun! I didn't win the 10 millionth customer award, but I did make a map. Play instructions are in the game's GUI, just add the file to your Starcaft map folder and choose "play custom". Its a bug hunt, basically.
... Update: v1.01 31/01-2012. Fixed an output bug in the text description. The map itself remains unchanged.
Where did all the wordy blog updates go? They went in here, that's where. Includes some likely handy tips on UV mapping, particularily if you're a 3D Studio Max user.
...update: Thus, all studies related topics for this blog came to their conclusion. Thanks to lecturers, blog post bots and fellow students alike, for dropping by over the last couple of years. I'm still around, somewhere in the Links section.
The events of Zagreb Film's Professor Balthazar TV show are here dissected for the benefit of future development. It is a hefty read, but illustrated. Images contained in the synopsis were captured from DVD Lab Rome's restored 4 DVD edition and treated digitally thereafter. The professor of course looks best in motion, so the best companion to this doc is the DVD linked above. The synopsis was developed in conjunction with my studies at Teesside University, under the Studio and Business Practice (SPB) module.
My pitch for a Professor Balthazar videogame, including a brief on www.monstercute.com. Big thanks to DVD lab Rome for restoring all four seasons of the Professor Balthazar TV show!
Here's how the lipsync excercise turned out! Only marginally different from the initial cut, but subtle variations include the feedback of fellow students and lecturerers. The props detailed two posts down were mostly left out of the scene, to allow the lipsync itself to be better visible.
Here's a look at the props that went into the set for the Creative Character Animation module. The base for the textures were originally collected from cgtextures.
... final results for the module will be posted here tomorrow.
Here are the animations for my final year practical project. The project name has been changed from The Thief, to Bottled Dreams. Though not complete, I still hope to finish this some day, though I doubt I'll find the time.
...update: In retrospect the final hand-in wasn't all I had hoped for, since I first set out to make a complete short film. I am glad though, that I passed my course, got my degree and learnt a bundle about a craft I've always looked upon with wonder. Respect for other people's completed short film projects have thus been multiplied.